Members of Congress who have been charged with crimes since 2000:
• Feb. 22, 2008:, R-Ariz., indicted on charges of extortion, wire fraud, money laundering and other crimes in an that authorities say helped him collect hundreds of thousands of dollars in payoffs.
• June 11, 2007:, R- , arrested in a at the Minneapolis airport. He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct. He is now asking a state appeals court to let him withdraw his guilty plea.
• June 4, 2007:, D-La., indicted on federal charges of racketeering, soliciting bribes and money laundering in a long-running bribery investigation into business deals he tried to broker in Africa.
• Jan. 19, 2007: Former, R- , sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison for trading political favors for gifts and campaign donations from .
• March 3, 2006: Former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, R-Calif., sentenced to eight years and four months in prison. He collected $2.4 million in homes, yachts, antique furnishings and other bribes in a corruption scheme.
• Oct. 3, 2005: Former, R- , charged with felony money laundering and conspiracy in connection with Republican fundraising efforts in 2002. One charge has been dropped and two others are being argued before a state appeals court.
• Aug. 29, 2003: Rep. William Janklow, R-S.D., charged with felony second-degree manslaughter and three misdemeanors after his car struck and killed a motorcyclist. He was convicted of vehicular homicide and sentenced to 100 days in prison.
• May 4, 2001: Rep. James Traficant, D-Ohio, indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of tax evasion, bribery, racketeering, conspiracy and obstruction of justice. He was sentenced to eight years in prison after being convicted of racketeering and accepting bribes.