Saturday, March 15, 2008

Read my lips, no new nations!

According to a story from the washington times the updated version of the U.S. Army's Field Manual on Operations ( http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/service_pubs/fm3_0a.pdf ) now considers "stability operations" (chapter 9), which if you read this section it does sound like a fancied up wording for nation building, as a component of U.S. military operations. Hmm I seem to remember somebody saying that nation building is not what the U.S. was about, in fact I think that that someone was criticizing a certain husband of a current presidential hopeful from the Democrat party (I'll give a clue here, I'm not talking about Obama) about policies that had been invoked by this hopeful's husband, who just happened to be President at that time, in the Balkans which were considered to be nation building. Hmmm now who was this again??


"I don't think our troops ought to be used for what's called nation-building. I think our troops ought to be used to fight and win war."—George W. Bush, October 11, 2000

No comments: